Tawang: A Hidden Paradise
This time I travel solo and to a hidden unexplored destination.
The Route (as per the road): Kolkata > Tezpur >Bhalukpong> Bomdila > Dirang > Tawang
My modified route: Kolkata > Tezpur > Bomdila > Tawang > Dirang >Bhalukpong
Tawang is both historically and naturally endowed.The natural beauty and solitude of Gudpi and Chong-Chugmi ranges, Tawang Chu River and Tawang valley are very mesmerizing. There are many beautiful grlacial lakes in and around Tawang with crystal blue waters such as Sela lake, P.T.Tsolake, Sangetser lake, Banggachang lake and many more. These remain frozen in winter while in summer they become haven for migratory birds.
How to Reach:
By Air: Kolkata – Tezpur.
By Train: Kolkata to Guwahati then Guwahati to Tezpur (lots of buses and shared card available)
- You may hire a Sumo for the whole trip from ASTC bus stand. Cost will be around 4500 per day including fuel.
- There is options of share sumo service from Tezpur to Bomdila (Rs.350).Then Bomdila to Tawang(Rs.500)
** In share sumo you will not able to visit the one of the main attraction Sela Pass and Nurunang Falls on the way to Tawang from Bomdila. In that case you can reserve a sumo for Tawang from Bomdila(Rs.5000)
Stay in Tawang:
- There are so many Hotels in market area which is crowded. (Avg. Cost : 800-1500 per night)
- You will find few hotels and guest house in upper side near the monastery with breathtaking view and peaceful location. (Avg. Cost : 1200-3000)
Eat & Drinks: You may try local dishes like Thupka ,Momos , Choupsy and beautiful PuriSabji and in drinks there are range of wines in less price due to no tax issue.
- Day 1 – Local sightseeing like Monastery (2), War Memorial , Ropeway
- Day 2 – Bum La Pass , Madhuri Lake and P.T.Tso Lake ( A full day trip )
- Day 3 – Zemithang ( A full day trip )
** For Bum La Pass you have to hire local sumo and you need a permit paper from Army and the whole procedure take 1 full day so on Day 1 go to the daily sumo counter in market area for Bum La trip. They will make your permit and all against you 2 copies of ILP and your photo id. (Cost: Rs.4500 for car and 500 for the permit)**
On the way to Tawang or way back there are 2 beautiful stations for 1-2 night stay – Bomdila and Dirang with wonderful landscape and breathtaking natural view. Hotels are available there within 700-1500 per night.